The following instructions are for installing the PERL addon to XAMPP so that you can then install Moveable Type.
XAMPP is a really great package that allows you to quickly and easily download, install, run and configure a host of services for your Windows computer. These instructions assume that you have installed XAMPP already.
Installing Moveable Type on Windows and XAMMP.
– Working XAMPP installation
- Download and install the XAMPP Perl Addon. You can find it on my website:
- Run “setup_xampp.bat” in the XAMPP directory and select “1” to run XAMPP with Perl.
- Restart XAMPP and verify that Perl is running by going to “Status” in the XAMPP website (http://localhost)
- Go to the PHPAdmin tool in XAMPP.
- – Create a new Database called “mt”
- – In “Priviledges” create a new user called “mt”, accessible from local only, and give a password and press Go. Also allow access to the “mt” database.
- – Priviledges should be All except GRANT and DROP
- Download MoveableType
- *EXTRACT* Moveable Type folder to the Desktop
- Using WordPad, edit the following files and make the specified changes:
- – mt.cfg:
- – mt-db-pass.cfg:
Replace “database password” with the password you used for the mt user you created.
- – All other “.cgi” files
- – Replace first line (#!/usr/bin/perl/) with path to perl.exe
- #7: Create three new folders:
- mt in the class folder
- mt-static in the mt folder
- mt in the cgi-bin folder (in xampp folder)
- Move images, docs, mt.js and styles.css into the “mt-static” directory
- Move the remaining moveabletype files into the mt directory in CGI-BIN
- Go to this website: http://localhost/cgi-bin/mt/mt-check.cgi
- Go to this website: http://localhost/cgi-bin/mt/mt-load.cgi
- If Successful Delete the file “mt-load.cgi”
- Go to this website: http://localhost/cgi-bin/mt/mt.cgi
- In “First WebLog” go to “WebLog Config”
- Make the following changes:
Local Site Path:
Site Url: http://your.ip.address.xxx/class/mt
Local Archive Path: C:\apachefriends\xampp\htdocs\class\mtarchives
Archive URL: http://your.ip.address.xxx/class/mt/archives/
- Click Save… then Rebuild the site.