This is a Call to Action.
If you support this, post an entry on your blog as well. We need as many people as possible to hear about this.
Not just for Progressive Bloggers, or Dippers, but for all concerned voters of all stripes. The Debate schedule has been set by the MSM and the 4 sitting Parties…. and the Green Party has been shut-out of the Debate again.
This is not acceptable.
The Green Party of Canada is a National party (which only 3 of 4 of the other parties can say).
The Green Party of Canada has been funded By Taxpayers under law by Elections Canada because it has reached a critical threshold of National relevance. The only reason remaining for its’ Leader, Jim Harris, to *not* be included in the Debate is political inertia, and possibly fear, from the other parties.
My Proposal… is for anyone reading this post… to phone the National Media that have agreed to broadcast the debate. I’m going to try to spread this message, far and wide… We’ll see what happens.
I would also suggest we do this in a structured manner.
ie: We should phone and email at coordinated times for maximum effect, perhaps, on the Hour from now until 10PM EST. This should ensure that,
- The message is clear and loud
- the magnitude of people calling is also clear
- we are organized, and persistent
Again, if you support this and have a blog, post an entry on your blog as well. We need as many people as possible to hear about this as possible. Don’t bother linking to me… heck just copy paste this entry if you want.
Below is contact information for all the major media outlets. I would recommend phoning your MP (or the candidate you will be supporting) as well.
Or web/email: http://www.cbc.ca/contact/index.jsp
Radio-Canada Nouvelles (news):
Phone: (416) 332-5000 (Ontario)
Phone: (204) 956-2025 (Manitoba)
Global National TV
Update: The reasons
People will say.. “Why bother. The Greens aren’t relevant, because they’ve never had a seat in Parliament or Legislature, and they’ve only got 4% of the vote”
- Elections Canada, by setting the 2% voting threshold, implicitly set a “threshold of relevance”. Statistically, 4% is not insignificant. 4% is, for example, the difference right now between the Liberal and Conservatives in many polls.
- Elections Canada funds 5 parties. The Liberals, Conservatives, Bloc, NDP, and The Green Party. Why, then, are the Greens not pat of the Debate?
- Debates are a key factor in any Election. And they raise the profile of a party ‘for free’. Gordon Wilson, former leader of the Liberal Party of BC, got his *new* party into the BC Debate in 1991. He won that debate, and it propelled his party into BC politics. Now, the Liberal Party is governing BC.
- The Green Party was allowed into the Debate in the last election in British Columbia. If they are there provincially, why not naitonally? I am not aware of other provinces.. if others know if the Green Party was allowed into Provincial Debates there, let me know.
EDIT: I’ve changed the Petition to the Official Green Party petition being created and used by the Green Party itselfIt doesn’t matter if you’re not going to vote for them. In fact, it’s better if you didn’t!
All that matters is that the Elections process is as fair as possible.